background

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Will I ever sleep again?

I'm officially terrified. These babies are going to be here really soon and I don't know if I'm ready. I'm almost finished with all the to do's to welcome them here (finishing their room, washing their clothes, accepting amazing gifts from family and friends) but, the mom stuff I'm worried about.

I just finished reading a blog of a friend of a friend. She is two weeks out with her darling little girl and she was writing about feeding and lack of sleep. I have been trying to research sleep schedules with twins but, I don't really think I know what I'm in for.

These two are supposed to eat every 2-3 hrs and it takes about an hr at a time!?! HOLY HECK! That's a lot of feeding and a little sleeping. I have a plan to feed and sleep them at the same time to get them on the same schedule but, that sounds terrifying.

L's mom will be helping me at first but, I need to figure this out on my own. I realize that I'm not the first mother to have twins and won't be the last so it can be done. I'm a notorious multi-tasker so I can do this. Just don't expect to see much of me during the first few months.

5 comments:

  1. Have you talked to Michelle yet? You need two bouncers and in the middle of night when you need to feed both at once, you have to prop them up and prop their bottles staying close to make sure they both keep their bottles in their mouths...during the day you can hold them to feed them but at night, its all you can do to get the rest you will need for the daytime. You can do it...if Michelle did it with triplets and she used to crave her sleep...you can do it! You're going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to do great!! Some of the best advice I received was to get them on the exact same schedule and accept ALL offers of help from friends, family etc. Don't feel like you have to do it on your own just yet or anytime soon, let people help you while you are recovering from birth and adjusting to your new schedule.
    I'll be praying for you! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's completely normal to be a bit freaked out by the responsibility that's headed your way. It's huge, but beautiful! You're going to be an amazing mommy...you have one of the biggest and sweetest hearts I've ever known!

    I would definitely recommend reading the Baby Whisperer. It was a life-saver for me. Such great, practical advice that made my new role much easier to manage.

    One last thing...I used to be in the "breastfeeding is the only way to go" camp. When we ended up adopting, that obviously wasn't an option and I was shocked at how I fell in love with formula. Anybody can do feedings. Feedings don't last nearly as long. Trav got to bond with Arle so much more than he would have otherwise. I never felt sleep-deprived. Arle has absolutely no allergies and seems to be pretty stinking smart.

    I say all that to say this...Obviously give nursing a try, but if you find that breastfeeding is taking too much of a toll on you and your sanity, don't be afraid of formula. It might become your new bff:) We used Similac and loved it.

    Love you and am praying for you!

    Can't wait to see pics of your sweet babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacee, try not to worry about feeding. There's just no telling what your babies will do and, if you're breastfeeding, what your own body will do. My twin babies nursed in about 5 minutes each. They had no choice as I had so much milk that they just gulped (no time for dithering) and then gasped when they were full. So you can't predict, but you can trust that somehow it always works out. "Whatever works" has always been my game plan. I think you are doing GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops, I forgot to say I'm Larry's Lovely Wife, Deb.

    We are pulling for you!!

    ReplyDelete